This is a Belgian Classic! Also known as Brussels waffles or Flemish waffles.
Belgian waffles (recipe without yeast)
Recipe type: Dessert, Breakfast, Snack
Serves: 12 wafels
This is the authentic recipe for making the best Belgian waffles without using any yeast.
- 250 g|8¾ oz |2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 200 g|7 oz|1 cup butter
- ½ litre|3/8 pints|2 cups milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 16 egg whites
- 1 package of vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- icing (confectioners') sugar, for dusting
- Heat the milk until lukewarm and then remove it from the fire. Mix the egg yolks into the milk and whisk them loose with a whisk. Sift the flour over it and mix it into the milk.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and remove it from the heat as soon as it"s melted and golden (don't let the butter turn brown). Add the vanilla sugar and the melted butter into the batter and stir well.
- Whisk the egg whites in a seperate bowl until stiff and firm (make sure that the bowl is clean and grease-free for best results)
- Fold the egg whites gently into the batter, spoon by spoon, until you become a very light mixture.
- Preheat the waffle iron until thoroughly hot, pour the batter with the help of a jug in the middle of the waffle iron (Because of the available fat in the batter, it is normally not necessary to grease in your waffle iron). Close the iron and flip it around immediatly. Let it bake for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the iron around again and remove the waffle with a knife or long fork.
- Put it on a plate and dust with powder sugar.
Enjoy the waffles and remember to let us know how this recipe worked out for you, by rating it in the comments below.
And never forget … When you cook, Cook at your Leisure!
I made these for my family this morning, topping them with blackberries and triple berry syrup. Perfect! Easy to make and simply delicious.